Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Questions... Pt. 1

With all the talk of list and tags askin' about the type of women I want, or what I want to do before i die i decided to write some questions, and possible answers that have been perplexing me as of late. Enjoy.

Let's say I'm a die hard Christian, and really thankful for Jesus in my life, and praise Him and all. Does that mean I should be thankful for slavery, to some degree?
I mean, i know it's a stretch. Millions of us Black people in America are direct descendents of slaves, and most of us Christian. Now, we got that religion from White folks and were persecuted under their belief in it, because they (white folks) thought the Bible told them enslavement of the Africans was justified.
So if we pray to this God of the Bible, and thank him for "saving" us, and believe that we have nothing if we don't have him. Then doesn't it go to say that without the chain of events that unfurled, we would be in Africa dying and suffering for our sins? So.... we should thank white people for giving us this religion, even though it was pretty f'd up how they introduced it?

Why do I love chicks with naturals so much?
I remember back when I was at FAMU i'd look past a lot of chicks just to check out the one with the locs, or the low ceasar, or an afro puff. And whats funny all my homeboys would look around and the same room of chicks and say, "there you go" whenever the saw a chick with a natural. My last girlfriend rocked a perm the first year of our relationship, and then one day she surprised me and cut off her hair, and rocked the ceasar. She looked like 10 times better after that.
My current belief is that it's still not culturally typical, acceptable to have a natural, and i like anything that goes against the establishment.

Why do the women of Africa have the smoothest skin I've ever seen?
I was watching a program on women of Somalia, and I couldn't help but notice that the women, even the young one's of pubescent age, had some flawless looking skin. And with all the stress and strife they deal with in thier lives, you would expect it to show, but it doesn't.
Probably because of all the "garbage" we put into our bodies in this country and all the toxins we ingest and inhale, we are unlikely to have the level of perfection in our skin.

Why are Brazillian women so damn fine?
I don't know if I'm jumping on th Snoop and Pharrell band wagon here, but I've been seeing pictures and videos with these women, and I can't help but say "Damn!". It's ridiculous. I hope my enamourment is not based on the eurocentric standard of beauty, but more the Africanity of their features. I haven't figured it out yet. But not everything is worth disecting, sometimes its good not to overanalyze and enjoy the scenery.

Why do people assume I'm born on Christmas?
Ok, let me start of by saying my last name is Christmas... Now, typically your last name comes from your father, who gets his from his father. But for some damn reason a lot of people, mostly white, have to ask either, "where did you get that last name from?" or "were you born on Christmas?". To which I usually say, "From my daddy, ya' damn fool!" or "You don't get last names based on your birthday ya' idiot!", at least that what I say in my head.

My new verbal response is more sarcastic than that. I usually just give them a little genealogy lesson, stating basically that as far as I know we were once OWNED by some white folks in Virginia, and they gave us the name. I guess white people forget about that part in history when they ask question like to Black people.


well that's all for now, more later. Peace OUT!

7 comments:

nikki said...

But for some damn reason a lot of people, mostly white, have to ask either, "where did you get that last name from?" or "were you born on Christmas?". To which I usually say, "From my daddy, ya' damn fool!" or "You don't get last names based on your birthday ya' idiot!", at least that what I say in my head.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAA!

lawd, but i can't believe folk even ASK you that question! that's RIDICULOUS!

oh, and when i was at famu, i had shoulder length permed hair for most of that time. i was dating this guy for a while when i decided to cut my hair off and rock the ceaser. why the brotha break up with me THE NEXT DAY?

so being at an hbcu guarantees a brotha is gonna dig a sista in her natural state. i learned that ish the hard way.

nikki said...

uh, that would be "does NOT guarantee a brotha is gonna dig a sista in her natural state."

MZPEACH said...

I ask your #1 question all the time. GREAT POST!

MZPEACH said...

I love how you spell my name right!!! I mean, everyone else doesn't. It's no space between Georgia and Peach.

VerseOne said...

I'm glad you enjoy GeorgiaPeach. I'm really interested in what people think of #1. thanks for sharing.

Peace.

Brea said...

I loved this post. Random thoughts are great! One of my best friends is Brazilian and DAYUM she's fine. Everytime we go out, men break their necks looking at her. And African women do seem to have gorgeous skin. What gives? Must be something about gorgeous weather that produces beautiful people.

Abeni said...

Actually I don't see anything to be thankful to slavery for.What I do say is am thankful my people survived the atrocities i.e the entire race didn't die.