Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I am Man, Hear me Roar...

Ya' know, sometimes I even amaze myself. I mean, i know i am a bright, attractive, and very gifted man, but I always seem to find out something new and great about me. I know what some of ya'll might be saying, "he's a cocky little guy, ain't he?", and i respond to that by saying, "if i don't say i'm the greatest, who will?".

You may ask, "what fumes has Verse been sniffin' on today?" Well i haven't been sniffin many fumes but i did have to some over the past 4 days. It all started on Thursday, when on my way to work i noticed a very noticeable "check engine" light on my car on my way to work. This wasn't good. So when i got to work i read in my car book, and found some cause for the potential wallet threatening warning. After doing some investigation, I summized that it must be a battery problem. So i decided to go to the dealership and have them run a check on my system and give me an estimate of how many children it's gonna cost me to get it fixed.

They come back in short order, and matter-of-factly, without any hint of remorse or regret, say...."it'll be about $980 to repair the car". What tha Fuck? $980! Damn! Damn these foreign cars...

Things I can do with $980:
-Buy daughter 3300 diapers, which would last about a week.
-Buy me the new XBox360 and 1 game.
-Buy my son 2 days at Disney, and maybe a soda there.
-Buy wifey a baby sitter so she can get a break.

So after i told them to just bring my car around and drove away, i did what i always do when my car is acting funny, i called my Dad. Since he's an mechanic, i figured he could best tell me what i should and could do on my own. After scoffing at the cost to repair, he then offered me the encouragement to do the work myself. I immediately began calling autopart stores in search of the best deal on the part i needed. I eventually found it for a cost of 180 bucks. So i ordered the part on Friday, and picked i up this past monday.

I used a couple of my paid days off and worked on it and completed the project yesterday evening. All in all i am happy, and i was able to drive it to work today, so i know it's working.

new part for your car....... $203
miscellaneous cost of working on it myself...... $62.00
having saved over $700, and being able to reaffirm my manhood....... priceless.

Peace.

6 comments:

Abeni said...

Way to go,Verse

Nika Laqui said...

There's nothing like a man that can fix a car....that's so sexy...

My crazy ass would want to sex you while you got all of that man dirt on you...*lol*

The Brown Blogger said...

That's what's up man... Glad you didn't outsource that ptoject.

Now, can I borrow $5?

VerseOne said...

Abeni-- thanks.

Nsanlee-- if i were 600 miles closer, and 6 years younger (when i wasn't married and dating) i'd break stuff on my car just to so u could watch me fix it.

Hassan-- i would've let u borrow the money 6 years ago, but like i told Nsanelee i'm married. and that ain't my money no more.

Chris-- I've changed the name from "dealership" to "deal-ya-shit", cause that's what they do.

nikki said...

hehehe...i should have known you'd end up doing it yourself. way to go, verse.

MZPEACH said...

Good Job Verse! And I love this post. :)