Wednesday, January 18, 2006

"Lift Every Voice And Sing..."---- James Weldon Johnson

"Lift ev'ry voice and sing,
Till earth and heaven ring.
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;"

The other day I was blog surfing, and I came across that of a blogger TeacherTori who had asked the question "why is there a Black National Anthem" (Lift Every Voice And Sing). So I decided to respond to her question, and I've decided to share it with ya'll. (Kinda long but definately worth the read... i think, anyways).

TeacherTori: …We have no "Korean American National Anthem", "Italian American National Anthem," or "German American National Anthem"....why a black one? We are not in segregated times anymore, and the majority of Americans alive today do not remember those horrible times so many years ago. I guess my beef is calling it the "Black National Anthem." I understand its purpose during the years when blacks were not given the same rights as other Americans, but the Civil Rights Act remedied that. I understand there will always be racists out there, but no need to add fuel to the fire. I think "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" is a beautiful name.

VerseOne: Tori, I appreciate you asking this question, as well as, those who share your idea. But the title is more to reach African Americans than to appease others.I mean, think about it alternate titles are given to events, songs and people all the time, but most people don't question them. For example... Holocaust. Now you ask any person what the word means, and I'm sure it's related to Nazi Germany. Even though there have been several holocaust in the history of the world, including the number of slaves that died as a result of the slavery related events."Peculiar Institution". The American History book for slavery.The name means nothing to those who appreciate the message of the song. Black nationalism (meaning the love for yourself as black people, and the fight for there equality) is needed in this country so why wouldn't a rallying call be necessary to help us keep our "eyes on the prize", so to speak?And finally the reason "the majority of Americans alive today do not remember those horrible times so many years ago." is because the history books omitted it.Peace.

"Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
Let us march on till victory is won."


TT: What do you mean by "reaching African Americans"? I am a teacher and after I read what you said I looked at textbooks and there was a lot of information on slavery and black culture period. Maybe not a few decades ago but these kids are being very educated on history.

VO: Maybe in recent textbooks. But I was in primary school 10-15 years ago and our coverage of black history was sparing.When I say to "reach african americans", I mean just that. In order to gain understanding of your culture or heritage, there is a need for methods to do so. Kwanzaa for example. It is in essence a celebration of our culture and also a ritual by which we can learn more about our origins. Same with Black History Month. They are used to bring awareness. Just like the AIDS walk, or MS Telethon. Where people affected by these illnesses campaign on their behalf. These songs or rituals bring awareness to those people might want to become more aware. Those who tend to want a greater sense of awareness happen to Black people in this case.So the song is just like any other song of affirmation, it has it's targeted audience and aims for them. Gospel songs aren't aimed at Muslims, so should the Muslim be mad for gospel music not being all encompassing, or viceversa?

I haven't heard anything back from her, but i'll let ya'll know. I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks about this. Please share your opinions.

"Out from the gloomy past,
Till now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast."

Here are some people from TeacherTori's comments section opinion:
  • FetchingJen---"The only thing that irritates me about labeling the song as "Black" National Anthem IS the label. Why is it njecessary if it is about and for blacks? The National Anthem is for all Americans, not just the white ones... "
  • Eddie---"Hey, if someone thinks they have their own something or other, I have no problem with it. Let them play make believe, and I will join the millions of other Americans who love the star spangled banner."
  • Stuffle---"It is the calling the song a "Black National Anthem", as if blacks and whites are supposed to have different national anthems, that is the problem. "

"May we forever stand,
True to our God,
True to our native land."

Peace.

2 comments:

brooklyn babe said...

Teacher Tori sounds like she needs a lesson in a AmeriKKKas history of slaves, and why in America such a song exist....

but I see you already took care of that..... Good read! or should I say... Good Lesson!

Brea said...

Reading her comments makes me shudder - especially when she said she is an educator. How can an educator who influences our youth be so insensitive and so naiive? Scary.