Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Music Tag

1) A favorite political track.
Beef – Mos Def

with lines like, “beef is not was Jay said to Nas/ Beef is when the workin’ folks can’t find jobs…


2) One of those tracks that make you dance on the dancefloor no matter what.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time – Buckwheat Boys

yeah i’m a Floridian… What?

3) The song you’d use to tell someone you love them.
Nothing Even Matters – Lauryn Hill ft. D’angelo

this song describes how love should feel. “These buildings could drift out to sea/ Some natural catastrophe/Still there’s no place I’d rather be/cause nothing even matters to me”.

4) A song that has made you sit down and analyze it’s lyrics.
Welcome to Jamrock – Damien Marley

The whole song is worth analyzing, but these lines are some of my favorites. “Come on let's face it, a ghetto education's basic/ A most a the youths them waste it/ And when they waste it/ that's when they take the guns and replace it

5) A song that you like, that a two year old would like as well.
Just to get by – Talib Kweli

I caught my son singing this at 2, so I guess it works.

6) A song that gives you an energy boost.
Kryptonite (I be on it) – Purple Ribbon Allstars

I could be in REM sleep at 2 a.m., and if this came on I’d jump and do my head nod.

7) A song that you and your grandparents (would probably) like.
Anything from B.B. King

I’m a Mississippi boy at heart.

8) A song that you really liked when you were 14-16, and still really like now.
It ain’t hard to tell – Nas

Self explanatory

9) A sad song that would be in the soundtrack of the movie about your life.
Never can say goodbye – Jackson 5

couple of years in there during some relationships. For some reasons my sad times are always came during relationships.

10) A peppy song that would start the opening credits of the movie about your life.
Umi Says – Mos Def

”my umi says shine your light on the world/ shine your light for the world to see.”

11) A good song from a genre of music that no one would guess that you liked.
The man in black – Jonny Cash

my favorite lines in the song are “I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down/ Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town/ I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime/ But is there because he's a victim of the times.” And the last line “'Til things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

12) A song that you think should have been playing when you were born.
Step into a world – KRS-One

"Step into a world, where hip-hop is me..."

13) A favorite artist duo collaboration.
BlackStar album


14) A favorite song that you completely disagree with (politically, morally,
commonsenically, religiously etc.)
give me that p---y – Lil Webbie

first of all… how does this song get on the radio?? And what is up with lines like… damn, I can’t even isolate a line. Song Lyrics . They are all borderline “rape” lines. Definitely not a Dirty South song I can feel.

15) The song that you like despite the fact your IQ level drops several points
every time you listen to it.
if it's too stupid, i ain't listening to it”- Nikki. I agree with that.

16) Your smooth song, for relaxing.
This is a Mans World- James Brown

this song has been sucessful lately at mellowing me out.

17) A song you would send to someone you hate or are mad at.
Threats – Jay Z

Put that knife in ya/ take a little bit of life from ya”. That’s whats up.

18) A favorite track from an outfit considered a “super-group.”
Vocab - Fugees

The beginning of my love for Lauryn's rhyme skills.

19) A song that makes you reminsce about good times with a family member.
Don’t remember the songs names, but when my brother I could first club together, we had a dance to it.

20) Your favorite song at this moment in time.
I put a spell on you – Nina Simone

It just puts me to sleep.

1 comment:

nikki said...

WHAT A GREAT LIST! so many different genres represented! and best of all is you got mos def and blackstar on there. damnit, if i didn't almost put a couple of their songs on my list too.